Travelling Abroad

Our guidance on travelling abroad with your pet

Animal Health Certificate Information

Disclaimer: the following details are correct at the time of writing. Owners are responsible for checking the most recent Government advice before attempting to travel with pets.

As of 1st January 2021 EU pet passports issued in GB are no longer valid for travel to the EU or NI.

An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) is a legal requirement in order to travel to the European Union or into the UK without quarantine. All dogs, cats and ferrets require an AHC to travel to and from the UK to an EU Country

See for government guideline on which countries this is applicable to.

Requirement for AHC:

  • Rabies vaccine:  Pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.
  • Microchip: your pet must be microchipped

Further information:

  • A certificate can only be signed 21 days after a rabies vaccination is given.
  • Once signed, you have 10 days to travel into the EU.
  • A certificate is valid for one trip to and from the EU.
  • The certificate is valid for travel inside the EU for 4 months, however, a new AHC would be required if you exit the EU at any point during your trip.
  • Tapeworm: a tapeworm treatment must be given to animals returning to the UK. This needs to be given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before you travel back and must be administered by a veterinary surgeon.

Additional requirements:

If you are travelling to countries such as Finland, Ireland, Malta, Northern Ireland or Norway your pet will need tapeworm treatment.  We normally give this when the certificate is issued and certify this on the certificate.  This needs to be given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before you travel.

Travelling outside of the EU

  • If you are travelling to somewhere outside of the EU you will likely need an Export Health Certificate (EHC). 
  • It is your responsibility as the owner to research travel requirements to your chosen country.  Please visit for more information.
  • We recommend contacting us at least 4 months before travel, especially to countries such as Australia, as there are more involved requirements such as blood sampling.